Saturday, May 22, 2010

Vegetables

So I've always been a big fan of fruits and veggies. Over the years I've been introduced to new ones - Chris taught me about the tastiness of brussels sprouts - and I've shared the magic of swiss chard with him :)

I LOVE watermelon and corn and with summer just around the corner, I get excited about farmers markets and fresh produce not trucked all the way from the other side of the globe. It just tastes better when is was picked that morning and then you eat it that afternoon.

If i had a patch of dirt of my own, i would totally grow tons of veggies. But alas, i am stuck with container gardening and that just doesn't satisfy me completely.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you all this is because I've discovered a cool new way to get farm fresh produce. It's called click2pick.com and is a co-op of family farmers across California,Nevada and Utah. It's great because you can get fruits and veggies that are at the peak of freshness. It's a great deal too, usually about 40% off of what you'd pay at the grocery store. In my first basket i got:
4 grapefruit
4 oranges
5 lemons
2 lg avacados
4 baby zuccini
1 bunch spinach
1 head lettuce
1 bunch beets
1 bunch celery
1/2 pint strawberries

You should totally check out the website and see if they have a location in your area. They have the small basket - what i got - and a large basket that's supposed to feed 4-5 people for a week. So far i love it!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Ohh, yummy - that is a great idea!