Monday, October 18, 2010

Birthday Cake!

So a while ago it was my grandpa's birthday. I decided to make him a cake since it was the big 8-5 and all. I also made his 80th birthday cake so there was appropriate symmetry :)

I also wanted to try using modeling chocolate. It turned out to be super easy to make and moderately easy to use. You just need strong hands to warm it up and roll it out. If you have a pasta roller outer, that would make it waaaaay easier.

If you want to give it a try use this recipe from cake decorator extrodinaire Colette Peters. I
recommend melting the chocolate in the microwave 30 sec at a time. No need to bother with the double boiler thing. Also, buy high quality chocolate, things turn out better that way. It ends up tasting like really dark tootsie rolls. Yum!

And here is the finished result:

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Beautiful cake! It looks really yummy too. And I like your new car. Are you still using the awesome cow print seat covers? Good memories :)