Monday, March 9, 2009

Moving day, moving day, hey baby hey

The title references an old episode of Full House when Uncle Jesse moves from the main house to the newly finished attic. Michelle sings this little song as the whole family helps him move his stuff upstairs. I kept singing it to myself all last week while I was packing stuff. Anyway . . .

Whew! What a weekend it's been. We moved from our old, tiny one bedroom apartment to our new spacious 2 bedroom apartment this weekend. I never would have thought we could fit so much stuff into such a small place, but i guess all the cupboards and drawers helped us stash a lot of junk.

During the week last week i packed up a lot of the loose stuff and emptied out all the closets and furniture i could. I made a small dent and then i reached maximum packing burnout. It's where you see stuff that needs to get packed into boxes, but all you do is wander around looking at everything and wondering what to do next. Thankfully my mom and dad came Friday morning to help, or we never would have got it all done. We also had the help of our very buff home teacher who helped with all the heavy lifting - Thanks Patrick!

Saturday we spent cleaning the old place - again the apartment was like 600 square feet and it took about 8 hours to clean it. Chris had to leave part way through to wait for the cable guy at our new place, so my good friend Hilary came to save the day. Chris came back to help finish up and finally about 5:30 we were done. We had a $495 deposit and we better get every cent of that back because that place was SPOTLESS!

Sunday was interesting getting ready for church. I chose my outfit based on the most comfortable shoes i could wear with it and then i had to try to find said shoes, the dress and my shirt in all the bags of clothes we hadn't unpacked yet. Eventually i found everything i needed and we actually made it to church on time :) Sunday dinner was less than wonderful because i hadn't been grocery shopping because i was so tired Saturday so we had frozen burritos, left over fried chicken and other random things. My mom used to call that the Sunday Lunch Buffet. On the up side, Chris and I got the kitchen stuff put away so we can have better food to eat this week, once i buy some :)

I think living in this new place is going to be super great. I like it a lot so far and I think I'll like it even more once the unpacking is totally complete. I've set a goal to have it all done by the end of march. I think that's totally doable as long as I unpack 3 or 4 boxes a night. I'll put up some pics as soon as I find my camera :)

5 comments:

Nat said...

Ugh, I HATE moving! But YAY for new, spacious apartment! What helped me UNpack once we moved into our house was I left all the boxes in the kitchen, so I was forced to look at them and deal with them really fast so that we could actually eat in there and stuff. Yes, post pics soon!

Kiley said...

Hooray! I'm glad you made it, but I'm sorry you had to do all that cleaning - I hate cleaning for the move!

Bryan and Janelle Guymon said...

Ahh, Full House...those were the good ol' days!

I am so excited for you guys. Your new place sounds awesome! Can't wait to see some pictures!

THE BROOKS CLAN said...

I love Full House. I even remember that episode, but I don't really remember the song.

Yeah for the move. I hated packing, in fact I think Adam did most of it because I was so overwhelmed by it all. Enjoy your new home

Britany said...

haha. that happened to me on my first sunday in this apartment. i moved on sat and had no time to unpack, so i couldn't find anything to wear. Super exciting about the apartment. I'm totally stoked for you two.