Saturday, March 21, 2009

Wedding Buffet

Ok, so this is a story mostly about this happy couple. Chris' youngest sister Britany got married to a great guy named Dan in the Bountiful temple on March 18th. They came all the way here from school at K State (Kansas that is) to be married close to both their families. Dan is from Provo and the Nelson/Bennett clan mostly lives in the Salt Lake Valley. I'm so happy for them and the new adventure they can embark on together. It's great to have a partner to share your triumphs and disappointments with, especially one who you know is committed to your relationship beyond just this life.




So enough of that mushy stuff. Here's where me and Chris come in. When Britany got engaged, she asked us if we could help with her reception food. Knowing us for the awesome cooks we are and that we catered our own wedding, she made an excellent choice :)

We were also itching to give the catering business a try since we may want to do it for a living someday. So we started to plan and this is what we came up with.




The menu consisted of chicken salad sandwiches on french bread,pork egg rolls with sweet & sour sauce as well as sweet chilli sauce,
chocolate covered strawberries in milk and white chocolate, a meat and cheese tray with a variety of rolls and mini cheese cakes in 3 flavors. I know, kind of a weird combo, but that's what they wanted.

It was A LOT of food and we planned on everyone being a lot hungrier than they turned out to be so we ended up having to send a lot of food home with extended family members.



These little jewels were the best and hardest thing we made. I spent the better part of the day dipping these and then trying to find places to put them all. Thank goodness for our new pantry or we would have had strawberries all over the place!






Here is the cake. I wish i could take credit for it, but this piece of art was created by my sister-in-law Melissa. She is amazing as you can see. She even made all the calla lilly flowers - OUT OF SUGAR!

Too bad she's moving to California or she could make you some sugar flowers :) The woman even makes her own fondant and the cake inside was great too. I'm working on a slice right now - yum, chocolatly . . . .





And here is the happy couple feeding the cake to eachother. It was very disappointing, no cake smashing at all. They just laughed the whole time like it was the funniest thing in the world.

I'm so happy for you two, enjoy eachother!

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow Blaire, you guys are amazing!

Bryan and Janelle Guymon said...

You're buffet looks awesome! You guys are amazing! :)

Nat said...

I can't believe you catered your own wedding! Crazy. And it looks mouth-watering! Next time you cater a wedding, you'll have to invite me so I can eat that yummy food!

Kiley said...

The food looks delicious! I'm sure it was a hit - I only wish I could try some . . . I'm kind of hungry . . .

P.S. I can't believe that cake either! Reminds me of another delicious wedding cake work of art that I loved . . .

Britany said...

Thanks Blaire! haha. You guys are such rock stars. I wish I could've eaten some of that food. Sad story.

Naomi said...

I didn't know you were into catering! It looks like you guys did great and I got hungry looking at the post (darn it:)). Um those calla lillies are AMAZING! I wish I would have known her for my wedding. Funny-my screen saver on my other computer popped up a pic of me and you the last time we came to visit - miss you!

Britany said...

Blaire, we should totally do a recipe exchange. It won't so much be an exchange as you just giving me more yummy recipes, but still!