Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jury Duty

I had a super fun weekend that kicked off with a Jury summons for Friday - YAY! This was my second summons in two months, i think i got 2 because the first one didn't go to trial.

I got picked to be in the first group of 10 to be questioned. The judge, prosecutor and defending lawyer asked us tons of questions about potential biases. I think my ship was sunk when i said i had a cousin who is a Cache County Sherriff, who even pulled me over once :) It was for a busted tail light that we had already ordered a replacement for.

Anyway, they didn't end up picking me and actually they only chose a jury of 4 people for the trial. I thought that was kind of weird, but the judge said that's how many they used for that type of case.

So in the end, i only was there about 2 hours. Good thing, because the daily pay for jury duty is only $18.50 in Utah. No wonder it's called civil service and they have to force you to come under penalty of jail time :)

2 comments:

Britany said...

hahaha. I'm sorry they didn't pick you to judge. There's always next time though!

Missy W. said...

i would do it for free, and they still won't pick me!