Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bacon Sprinkles?

Friday the local newspaper held a cupcake competition at a recently opened cupcake shop in town. When i was in there a few days before to ask them to help with a project i'm doing, my co worker Karrie and I saw the fliers and she told me I should do it. So i decided I would :)

When i went to Seattle in April for work training, my friend Cheryl told me about a cupcake shop that had something like an eggs and bacon cupcake and that got me thinking about my entry for the competition.
So here they are: Pancake Cupcakes with Butter Maple Icing and Bacon Sprinkles - Ta da! I know it sounds weird, but the sweet and salty think really works. Plus a pancake cupcakes is awesome-er than regular pancakes because it's portable :)

So there were 50 entires into the competition and the winning categories were:
Best Icing
Best Presentation
Best Cake
Most Unusual Ingredients
Best Overall

I thought i might have a shot at the most unusual, but the winner of that category was a chili chocolate cupcake. I thought for sure i wouldn't win anything then, BUT I did win. I won the "Best Cake" category instead :) The overall winner was a Creme Brulee cupcake and it had the caramelized sugar on top even. It was probably the best choice for the store since they were going to sell the winning cupcake.

I was really happy with the outcome of my first food competition, so maybe I'll have to do it again sometime. Don't ask about the recipe - it's top secret!

5 comments:

Janelle said...

Wow! Way to go - that is so awesome! I think you should send me one. Do you think they are THAT portable? :)

Missy W. said...

nice work. very unusual!

Britany said...

omg! You are eventually going to be on the food network doing their challenges and then I'll be able to tell people that I am related to you.

Derek said...

pretty sure they posted the recipe on the herald journals website.. so.. i guess secrets out blah.

Blaire said...

i know, but it was a secret for a couple days right :)