Tuesday, October 27, 2009

And We're Back !

On Carbs that is. Chris and I both got to the point where we would rather not eat at all than eat the food we were allowed on the Atkins plan. We've decided to instead make healthier choices and we joined the gym. The plan is to work out 3 times a week with an optional Saturday. Oh, and we're exercising at 5am! I didn't think i could do it, especially since i can barely wake up at 7:30, but i was suprisingly alert :)

I think we both feel a lot better now that we're eating a more balanced diet and variety really is the spice of life. But i know i learned a lot of important lessons while on Atkins that I will remember:

1. Don't be lazy. There are a lot of hidden sugars and carbs in prepared foods. I want to take the time to prepare meals using ingredients in their more "natural" state.

2. Read the labels. This goes along with no being lazy. I was just grabbing things off the shelf based on price or if it was a brand i liked. Now i take the time to read the labels and choose items that will be of the best benefit to our bodies.

3. Planning out all the meals for the week leaves less options for eating out. By having something on hand for all 3 meals a day, and listing them out so they're easily accessible makes it easier to avoid the "we don't have anything, let's order something" trap.

4. Jello is your friend. Sugar free and a variety of flavors is the perfect treat. Also Reddi Whip in the can is only 15 calories a squirt and is made of real cream. Hello! Whip cream makes all desserts better :)

It's been a lot more work for me, but making sure we get a balanced menu makes me feel good both as a wife and as a person who is just looking to be healthier :)

3 comments:

Justin and Melissa said...

I am glad you are off that diet, I really don't like it. It will provide your bodies a jump start in the weight loss goal though which is good and I am glad to hear that you are going with healthy portion controlled options and exercise. That really is the best way to loose weight and actually keep it off because that is a lifestyle change. Good luck and don't get frustrated if it doesn't come as fast as you are hoping, it will work if you stick with it and change things up periodically so your body doesn't get bored. You can do it!

Lisa Puga said...

high fives for you!

Unknown said...

Makes sense! I lost 2 pounds last week walking at 5:00 in the morning every day and then again at night three times a week. I each sensibly - mostly and try to be smart. I have been having soup for lunch - tomatoe basil with pretzel chips - no fat and 11 = 1 serving. I at whatever I wanted yesterday, but will be smart again today! You two are the best! Hang in there!