Monday, February 8, 2010

Hit the Books

I don't know why, but i LOVE young adult literature. I think it's because the stories are so imaginative and free of the typical cares that adults experience. The characters in YA Lit don't care about martgage payments, who they'll marry, if they'll have a successful career and all that stuff that grown ups have to think about every day. I like being able to escape and, YA lit does that for me.


So, I have another fun recommendation. It's a series called Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. There is a movie coming out soon about the first book, The Lightning Thief. Basically the main character - Percy- has grown up without knowing who his real father is. As he's gotten older, wierd things have started happening: explosions, fires, injuries, etc and Percy always gets blamed. One night he and his mom go to the beach for the weekend and are chased by a monster of greek mythic proportions. This all leads up to Percy finding out who he really is and what's been going on his whole life. I won't ruin it for you, but it's an action packed adventure :)
Chris says he likes this series because the story is original. Most adult sci-fi or fantasy is all the same old stuff. This series captures something new.
In this series there are 5 books, each one a new adventure of Percy and his group of close friends. Because the stories are based on Greek gods and mythology, you also learn a little bit about the different subtexts of Greek culture, but not in a way that makes tou feel like you're learning :) The 5th book is my favorite and is totally awesome because there is tons of action, destruction and mayhem.

They're all quick reads and a good vacation for the brain :)

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Our Bishop and his wife were telling us about this one last week. I also love YA liturature...maybe is shows how mature/not mature I am...but anyway, I will have to check this one out! BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Britany said...

Dan is reading these right now! I'm going to start them when he's done.