Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Don't judge a DVD by it's cover

Well the first week of my get healthy campaigns went ok i guess. I only exercised twice last week, but i did pretty good at the eating part. So far this week is going much better. I know it's only tuesday, but there aren't any evening activities to distract me this week from my exercise.

There's just one thing i have a beef with, deceptive cover art. When you buy a work out DVD, there's a smiling lady on the cover doing a simple exercise move in a super cute spandex outfit and you think to yourself, hmmm she looks pretty nice i bet this work out is going to be so much fun. WRONG!

You have been tricked! This lady is your taskmaster in the equivalent of your own personal work out hell. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but the nice smiling picture on the cover is definitely a ploy to lull you into a sense of security. I've only done 3 of the 4 DVD's I've purchased, but here's the lowdown so far.

Lift Weights to Loose Weight has a picture of the blonde Kathy Smith, a nice looking woman who appears to be in her early 40's. Well, I'm 26(almost) and she totally kicked my butt. After 40 minutes with her i could barely lift my water glass. Boost Your Metabolism features a perky brunette and she's very encouraging until she's got you running around and jumping and lunging until your legs shake. Finally, 10 Minute Pilates seems like it would be relaxing and spiritual on some level, oops wrong again. After falling down a lot, I guess i'll need more balance to make this work.

Who knows, maybe in two or three months i will recant all these ravings and sing the praises of these "mean ladies." Tough love may be exactly what i need. If not, would anyone like to purchase a slightly used work out DVD?

3 comments:

Nat said...

My roommates and I would end up yelling at Billy Blanks (Tae Bo) while working out. It kinda makes you feel better. Well, emotionally.

And hey, at least you've worked out; I've tried getting up early the last couple of days before my kids, and it totally hasn't worked out yet.

Hilary said...

You've done more than me!

I have a pilates DVD that was disappointingly not challenging at all. Well, it was a few years ago that I tried it last, who knows, maybe it's hard now. Anyway, do you want it? Maybe we can trade.

Naomi said...

Hey good job! I have countless workout DVD's but they just collect dust:) I resolve almost every week to start working out and so far it hasn't happened so way to go and keep it up!